MALLS R US returns Feb. 28, Phoenix Art Museum
- Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010
- Time: 1 p.m. (doors at 12:30 p.m.)
- Place: Whiteman Hall, Phoenix Art Museum, 1625 North Central Ave., Phoenix AZ 85004
- Free Admission (ask for pass at front desk)
- Film introduction by Kimber Lanning, Director, Local First Arizona
MALLS R US discusses the psychological appeal of malls to consumers, how architects design their environments to combine consumerism with nature and spectacle, how suburban shopping centers impart social values, and how malls are transforming the traditional notions of community, social space and human interaction.
As entertaining as it is informative, MALLS R US offers a trip to the mall like no other, reveling in their architectural splendor as consumerist paradises but also showing how the social dynamism they represent can be a destructive force, one that confuses the good life with the world of goods. And yes Arizona, you will recognize several local sites.
Posted on February 22, 2010, in Business, Population Trends, Shopping, Visioning and Planning and tagged CityCircles, Helene Klodawsky, Kimber Lanning, Local First Arizona, Malls R Us, No Festival Required, Phoenix Art Museum, sprawl. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.