- Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010
- Time: 1 p.m. (doors at 12:30 p.m.)
- Place: Whiteman Hall, Phoenix Art Museum, 1625 North Central Ave., Phoenix AZ 85004
- Free Admission (ask for pass at front desk)
- Film introduction by Kimber Lanning, Director, Local First Arizona
MALLS R US discusses the psychological appeal of malls to consumers, how architects design their environments to combine consumerism with nature and spectacle, how suburban shopping centers impart social values, and how malls are transforming the traditional notions of community, social space and human interaction.
As entertaining as it is informative, MALLS R US offers a trip to the mall like no other, reveling in their architectural splendor as consumerist paradises but also showing how the social dynamism they represent can be a destructive force, one that confuses the good life with the world of goods. And yes Arizona, you will recognize several local sites.
[Source: Catrina Knoebl, RadiatePHX] — Join RadiatePHX in celebration of National Independents Week, June 29 through July 5. Celebrating with us will be Local First Arizona Director, Kimber Lanning. She’ll be our guide to the week and share how we can continue to support the cause by tapping into Local First’s directory, Golden Coupons, and more.
- Date: Tuesday, June 30
- Time: 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.; panel discussion will start a little after 6 p.m.
- Place: The Lost Leaf, 914 N. 5th Street, Phoenix, AZ
Radiators will also receive $1 off the 8 p.m. Tuesday evening showing of documentary film “Malls R Us” at Modified Arts, 407 E. Roosevelt St.
Then make a night of it! We will be gathering at The Lost Leaf for beverage refreshment so everyone can head out afterward and visit nearby independent restaurants in our own downtown. You will be invited to forward your own brief restaurant review (“We had a terrific burger and the best margaritas!”) by the end of Independents Week and they will be posted on the RadiatePhoenix site and on DowntownPhoenixJournal.com for all to see.
For more information, click here.
- Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2009
- Time: 8 p.m. (doors at 7:45 p.m.)
- Place: Modified Arts, 407 E. Roosevelt, Phoenix
- Admission: $6 ($1 off with student ID)
Combining nostalgia, dazzling architecture, pop culture, economics, and politics, “Malls R Us” examines North America’s most popular and profitable suburban destination — the enclosed shopping center — and how for consumers they function as a communal, even ceremonial experience and, for retailers, sites where their idealism, passion, and greed merge.