Daily Archives: September 7, 2009
[Source: Dana Caporaso, ABC15] — Who’s a typical light rail rider? More than 3,000 people were surveyed in April to determine some of the most common characteristics, according to Valley Metro spokesperson, Hillary Foose. Foose said the data will be used to help Metro in its future planning efforts. The results of the survey are as follows:
- 35% of Metro riders surveyed are new to public transit.
- 40% use light rail to travel between home and a destination other than work, such as attending special events, enjoying a night out with friends or running errands.
- 30% of respondents use Metro to commute between home and work exclusively.
- Approximately 20% of respondents use Metro for trips where neither end of the trip is home (i.e. going to/from lunch during the workday, meeting friends after work or going to school from the workplace).
- 45% of respondents walk, bike or skate to a Metro station to connect with light rail; the other half either drive to a Metro station, usually using a park-and-ride facility (29%) or connect from a bus (26%).
- 68% of respondents have at least one car available for the trip they were making on light rail.
Click here to rread more about the Metro survey. A more comprehensive on-board survey is expected to be held the fall of 201o.