[Source: Valley Metro] — Valley Metro, the regional public transit agency, is hosting public hearings to receive the public’s input on proposed changes to the fare structure that guides the price of bus service (local, regional, express, and RAPID), Phoenix and East Valley Dial-a-Ride, and METRO light rail service. Public hearings encourage riders and interested individuals to give input on the proposed fare changes. A final recommendation will be presented to city councils as required and the Valley Metro Board of Directors in early 2009.
The last fare change occurred in December 2007, which included the elimination of transfer. Current proposed fare changes are due to a decline in sales tax revenues that fund a majority of transit service in the Valley. The proposed fare changes include a fare increase of up to $1.00 on a one-ride local fare that is currently $1.25 and price increases on the all-day, 3-day, 7-day and 31-day passes. The new fares could be in effect in July 2009.
Comments are being accepted through January 24, 2009 in the following ways: public hearings, e-mail, customer service phone line, and written responses mailed to Valley Metro RPTA. Details for the Phoenix meetings are given below. With the exception of the Jan. 15 meeting, open house begins at 5:30 p.m. and public hearing presentations and public input starts at 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2009 ~ Sunnyslope Community Center, 802 E. Vogel Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85020
- Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2009 ~ Cesar Chavez Public Library, 3635 W. Baseline Road, Laveen, AZ 85339
- Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009 ~ Maricopa Association of Governments, #200, Saguaro Room, 302 N. 1st Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85003 (open house begins at 12:30 p.m. and the public hearing begins at 1 p.m.)
Other methods to give input on the proposed fare changes:
- E-mail comments
- Customer Service will accept comments at 602-253-5000
- Written comments can be sent to: Valley Metro RPTA, Attn: Fare Program Manager, 302 N. 1st Ave., #700, Phoenix, AZ 85003