The Charles Pugh House, the last of Central Phoenix’s original 19th century Victorians is a significant historic building that’s become an eyesore in the downtown Phoenix community and a beacon for illegal dumping, trespassing, and other issues that spill over into the neighborhood.
Join downtown Phoenix residents who are interested in cleaning up in and around the historic Charles Pugh House. We will be meeting at the house at 362 N. 2nd Ave (map) at 9AM, tomorrow October 22nd.
About the Charles Pugh House
[Source: Downtown Phoenix Journal]
The Charles Pugh House is a complete anomaly: easily missed on this quiet stretch of 2nd Avenue between Copper Square and Roosevelt, yet brightly bold and architecturally distinctive, despite requiring some serious TLC.
Queen Anne style, the home was built c.1897, but it is evident that some alterations have taken place over the years. The home is brick with a stone foundation, and features a classic hip roof and hand-carved brackets at the eave. Decorative shingles on the gable, stained glass windows and a bay ell made this house a standout in its heyday.
The home, built by Pugh, the editor and proprietor of the Southwestern Stockman, was occupied well into the 20th century, and received a significant alteration and addition to the rear, as well as the addition of the front courtyard, which is still in good shape despite its neglect.
Today, the building sits in the shadows of O’Neil Printing and the YMCA, boarded up and in need of a power wash. It almost looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie, but it certainly could be resurrected into a great little gift shop or museum. Only time will tell…