Downtown Voices Coalition Minutes for August 14, 2010
Meeting held at Roosevelt Commons, 825 N. 6th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85003
Attending: Kim Kasper, Tim Sprague, Suad Mahmuljin, Louisa Stark, Matt Tomb, Elise Griffin, John Saccoman, Beatrice Moore, Susan Copeland, Steve Weiss, Carol Poore, Erick Baer, Karla Grijalva, Margaret Dietrich, Jim McPherson, Reid Butler, Kate Benjamin, Sean Sweat, Bill Blauc, Tim Eigo
Introductions and approval of minutes: Motion to approve Reid Butler, Second Tim Eigo, voice vote carried unanimously.
GRAND AVENUE FESTIVAL– Kate Benjamin, chair Grand Avenue Festival
September 25, 2010-All day and evening
Events include-5 stops on Historic Tour-15th Avenue/Grand area
$10.00 ticket for tour-fundraiser for Grand Avenue Merchants Association
Open Artist Studios-Trashy Sculpture Show
Evening Fashion Show Braggs Pie Factory
Oasis Motel renovation will be part of tour-hoping to start renovation in October 2010
Request for $250.00 donation by Downtown Voices Coalition to Grand Avenue Merchant Association for Grand Avenue Festival.
- Motion to donate John Saccoman, 2nd Suad Mahmuljin, voice vote approved unanimously
- Reid Butler will match DVC donation.
VISONING CONFERENCE DOCUMENT UPDATE– Carol Poore
Initial stages developing nicely and she’ll be handing over preliminary soon
Carol discussed her dissertation on how Phoenix Community Alliance and Downtown Phoenix Partnership interact with other organizations in downtown-DVC is a player!
3 profound issues:
- Leadership changes
- With big projects done, street level activity and development needed
- Affordable and attainable housing
Erick Baer-Public funding initiatives=empty lots, Private no public funds=Grand Avenue
SAHARA/RAMADA UPDATE– Steve Weiss
City asked for continuance of rezoning for parking lot. “Done Deal” says City Mgr. David Cavazos.
Update Private Non-Profit Intervention Fund-Reid Butler
- Example was given for creating new organization with capital seed money ($20 mil)
- Phoenix-based organization intervenes and purchases older threatened buildings
- Save money with more than advocacy, save with money!
- Funding sources-Angles, non-profits, corporations
- Use tax credits to finance end goal-Organization stabilizes structure, sells to preservation- friendly developers-Or –Bank—gift building to non-profit.
- Version of how not to do it-Grace Court
Motion to Publish DVC Minutes General Monthly Meetings to DVC website
- Motion made by Suad Mahmuljin, Seconded by Tim Eigo, voice vote carries motion unanimously.
MOTION TO ADJOURN
John Saccoman, seconded by Tim Eigo, voice vote carries motion unanimously.
Posted on October 8, 2010, in Downtown Voices Coalition, Meetings and tagged Architecture, Arts, Downtown Phoenix, Grand Avenue Festival, Historic Preservation, Meetings, Preservation, Ramada Inn, Sahara Motor Inn, Visioning conference. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.