[Source: City of Phoenix] — The Phoenix Public Transit Department is soliciting public feedback on new budget cuts required because of actions taken to balance the state of Arizona budget. The department will hold community outreach events in each of Phoenix’s eight council districts to get residents’ opinions of possible service reductions. The public can also provide input online through an online survey or by sending an e-mail with the subject line “Budget Cuts Feedback.”
In the budget passed by the legislature in March, a sweep of the Local Transportation Assistance Funds (LTAF) cost the city of Phoenix approximately $11 million over the remainder of this fiscal year and next year, 2010-11. These new reductions are in addition to service changes approved in the city budget adopted in March by the Phoenix City Council. These new reductions could affect all city transit services, including local bus routes and RAPID routes, as well as Dial-a-Ride service.
Options for changes to service include elimination or service reduction of certain bus routes; reduction of Dial-a-Ride service to federally-mandated minimums; and partial reduction or complete elimination of the Phoenix Neighborhood Circulator program, a free transit service that travels through communities, and connects residents to schools, shops and other public services. Public Transit Department staff will be asking for feedback from the public at the following events, and will also be available to answer questions.
- Monday, April 12, 7:30 – 9:30 a.m., Paradise Valley Mall Transit Center, 4623 E. Paradise Village Parkway North
- Monday, April 12, 4 – 6 p.m., Hope VI CTEC, 1150 S. Seventh Ave.
- Monday, April 12, 5:30 – 7 p.m., Paradise Valley Community Center, 17402 N. 40th St.
- Tuesday, April 13, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., Cowden Center – John C. Lincoln Hospital, 9202 N. Second St.
- Tuesday, April 13, 6 – 8 p.m., Desert Sky Mall (meeting room near Cinema Latina), 761 W. Thomas Road
- Wednesday, April 14, 7:30 – 9:30 a.m., Central Station, Central Avenue and Van Buren Street