[Source: Arizona Department of Transportation] — ADOT is holding a series of community workshops throughout November for the ongoing Building a Quality Arizona (bqAZ) statewide transportation planning framework process. This process began in early 2008 when communities provided their thoughts on future transportation needs. Our team has incorporated that information into possible future scenarios which will be presented for review and comment during the upcoming workshops. Public and private environmental organizations are encouraged to attend the workshops and contribute ideas and insights.
The focus of these workshops is working together to develop a transportation system that includes linkages and modes that allow us to have transportation options beyond what we have today. Transportation options are healthy for community quality of life, the environment, and the economy.
Principles of Smart Growth
- Mix land uses
- Take advantage of compact building design
- Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
- Create walkable neighborhoods
- Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of place
- Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental areas
- Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
- Provide a variety of transportation choices
- Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost effective
- Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration in development decisions
13 community workshops are scheduled between November 10 and 20. Click here for a complete list of workshop dates, times, and locations statewide. Questions? Call Kristin Bornstein, ADOT Communication and Community Partnerships, at 602-368-9644 for more information. Click here for a printable invitation.