[Source: Tiffany Sprague, Cool Cities] — Are you interested in seeing that Phoenix is doing its part to address the issue of global warming? If so, consider getting involved in the Sierra Club’s Cool Cities campaign. Begun in 2005, Cool Cities empowers city residents and local leaders to join and encourage their cities to implement smart energy solutions to save money and build a cleaner, safer future.
Cool Cities helps to bring real solutions at local levels, showcases solutions for others to model, and builds leadership to ensure solutions are implemented at state levels and nationwide. Hybrid cars, energy efficient buildings, and renewable energy are just a few of the ways to make this real.
Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon has signed the U.S. Mayors Climate Protection Agreement — the first step to becoming a Cool City. Be the first to sign up as an activist in Phoenix and help the mayor follow through on his commitment.
- Milestone 1: Establish Campaign (IN PROGRESS) ~ Write a city profile on the Cool Cities website.
- Milestone 2: Engage The Community (IN PROGRESS) ~ Send a formal letter to Mayor, co-signed by 2+ partner community groups requesting the mayor to sign.
- Milestone 3: City Signs Agreement (COMPLETE) ~ Municipality makes formal commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (Mayors’ Climate Protection Agreement).
- Milestone 4: Initial Solution Steps (IN PROGRESS) ~ City establishes committee to create local climate action plan; City initiates early implementation actions (e.g. energy efficient light bulbs at city offices); City performs an audit of city operations.
- Milestone 5: Advanced Smart Energy Solutions