[Source: City of Phoenix Press Release]
City of Phoenix offices will be closed Monday, Jan. 17, in observance of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
Here’s how city services are affected:
- Transit: Buses and METRO Light Rail will run on a Sunday schedule. Dial-a-Ride and DASH will not be operating.
- Solid Waste: There will be no collections Monday. Monday collections will move to Tuesday and Tuesday collections will move to Wednesday.
- Transfer Stations: The 27th Avenue and North Gateway stations will remain open.
- Libraries: Burton Barr Central Library and all branch libraries will be closed.
- Parking meters: They will be free.
[Source: HandsOn Greater Phoenix]
This year marks the 25th anniversary of honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a federal holiday. Join HandsOn in following Dr. King’s example by serving others! We will be sewing to assist dementia patients, packing medical supplies for under-resourced nations, and staffing a festival to celebrate Dr. King’s life. We also need volunteers to paint murals, plant trees, and clean up local neighborhoods. Projects will take place on Saturday, January 15th, Monday, January 17th and Saturday, January 22nd.
To view all of our Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration projects in Phoenix and to sign up, click here!
In this know99 television segment, the Roosevelt School District in Phoenix honored the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a celebration involving every school in the district at one big event.