[SOURCE: Arizona Public Service, March 12, 2020] – While it is always our goal to keep you updated on our APS projects and especially our new Evans Churchill North Substation, it also feels like many, many weeks have passed while we are working on various stages of our design, engineering and permitting efforts. So, here’s a quick update.PROJECT LOCATION – north of the existing APS Evans Churchill Substation, on the southwest corner of 7th Street and Roosevelt. This is the site that was recommended by downtown stakeholders following a significant public siting process to locate this new substation.PROJECT SCOPE – we continue to work on the design, architectural and engineering requirements for the site. Currently, the project includes (but is not limited to) the following:
- A new electrical substation to serve our customers in the downtown Phoenix area;
- Approximately three of the 69kV power line structures on the corner of 7th Street and Roosevelt will be replaced and reconfigured to accommodate the engineering requirements for the substation;
- The 69kV lines that will serve the substation will enter the substation underground (from those same poles mentioned directly above.)
- There will be significant trenching along the west side of 7th Street to accommodate the 12kV distribution power lines needed to serve APS customers in the downtown area.
- The substation will be designed to incorporate 20 ft walls with public art/murals, built shade, landscaping, lighting, benches, theatre/performance spaces, bike/scooter racks, sidewalks, etc.
- On March 2nd, we submitted the City of Phoenix Planning & Development “Downtown Code and Walkable Urbanism Pre-application.” Then on March 3rd, we submitted the revocable permit and maintenance agreement applications.
- Following the City of Phoenix review of the “Preapp”, we will submit our application to the Design Review Committee.
- And in the meantime, we will be working on our architectural designs, civil permitting package for the walls, street improvements, etc.
- We hope to start substation construction by October 2020 and we are planning for substantial completion of the entire project by Dec 2022/early 2023.
- While the schedule is still under review, the 7th Street road restrictions for the installation of new power lines will not likely take place until early 2022.
- Once this project is energized (early 2023), we will begin rebuilding the existing Garfield Substation at 2nd Street and Garfield Street (east of The Churchill.) The design, engineering and permitting for the Garfield Substation project will likely be launched in 2021.
Attached an illustrated concept of the substation. This is not a final design.We will continue to keep you posted on our progress, but more than anything – as you have feedback for us, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. And as always, if you have any questions or concerns, please give me a call or shoot me an email.Take care and be safe.Kendra Lee, APS Government Affairs, Franchises & Technical Services, P.O. Box 53999 Station 9721, Phoenix AZ 85072, (o) 602-371-7872, (m) 602-809-1147, <Kendra.Lee@pinnaclewest.com>