[Source: Phoenix Business Journal] — Metro light rail will be among recipients of the annual DREAMR Awards to be presented Jan. 26 by the Downtown Phoenix Partnership. The awards honor people, places, and projects helping turn the dream for a vibrant center city to a realized urban core combining commerce, university students, scientists, doctors, artists, urban dwellers, theater goers, and sports fans.
DREAMR stands for Downtown Revitalization Effort Awards of Merit and Recognition. Metro light rail will receive the Project/Program Award. Other honorees will be:
- Private Sector Individual Award — business partners Dan Majerle and A.J. Sulka, owners of Majerle’s.
- Outstanding Organization Award — Phoenix Downtown Development Office as the driving force behind the Arizona State University campus, Phoenix Biomedical Campus and University of Arizona College of Medicine, Sheraton Hotel, and CityScape.
- Unsung Hero Award — Longtime downtown developer Andy Conlin, a founding member of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership who played key roles in projects, including the Arizona Center and Diamondbacks ballpark.
- Visionary Award — Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon for his stewardship of downtown Phoenix.
- Best Breakfast Spot — First Watch.
- Best Lunch Spot — Kincaid’s Fish, Chop & Steak House.
- Best Happy Hour — Matador Mexican Food Restaurant.
- Best Nightlife Spot — Matador Mexican Food Restaurant.
- Best Place to Relax — Compass Restaurant.
- Best Cultural Attraction — Arizona Science Center.
- Best Retail Store — Renaissance Snacks & Gifts.
- Best Athlete — Amari Stoudemire, Phoenix Suns.
- Best Personal Care —Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA.
The “best” awards were selected by the public. The 15th annual awards will be presented at a program from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel. Tickets cost $70 and RSVPs are due by Jan. 22. For more information, contact Julie De Anda, 602-744-6412.