[Source: City of Phoenix] — The APS Electric Light Parade returns to the streets of uptown Phoenix for its 22nd straight year. The 2008 parade, themed “Preserving a Family Holiday Tradition,” kicks off at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 6 on Central Avenue just south of Bethany Home Rd. Comprehensive parade information is available online in the APS Electric Light Parade link here. General information is available by phone at 602-534-FEST.
This annual spectacle has attracted up to 200,000 spectators to the parade route. All entries in the parade –- even individuals in performance groups who walk the route –- are decorated in holiday lights. In years past, some entries have sported more than 50,000 lights. In addition to the floats, performance groups and bands also will take part. From just south of Bethany Home Road, the parade proceeds south on Central Avenue to Camelback Road, then heads east to 7th Street where it turns south to the end point north of Indian School Road.
Below are some tips for those planning on attending the parade:
- The parade is a rain or shine event. Keep an eye on weather forecasts and dress accordingly.
- Spectators are encouraged to bring blankets and chairs.
- Coolers are permitted, though alcohol and glass containers are not allowed.
- Viewing spots along the parade route are first-come-first-served. Spectators often start arriving three hours before parade time to reserve spots.
- Parking is on street and also is on a first-come-first-served basis. Private lots near the parade area often offer parking for a fee.