Long-time Valley preservation advocates honored by ASU
[Source: Peter Corbett, Arizona Republic] — A Valley couple who founded the Armenian Church and Cultural Center in Scottsdale was honored earlier this month by Arizona State University. ASU President Michael Crow presented Gregory and Emma Melikian with the University Medal of Excellence for their leadership and civic engagement. The Melikians have supported ASU for more than three decades, including an endowment of the Melikian Center and its Critical Languages Institute. They have also invested in the preservation of more than a dozen historic properties in Scottsdale, Tucson, and Phoenix, including the San Carlos Hotel, a downtown landmark since 1928.
The Melikians were presented their medals at the ASU graduation ceremonies May 8. The University Medal of Excellence honors innovative leaders who have advanced awareness and action on issues that affect the well-being and positive development of their communities.
Posted on May 26, 2008, in Arts and Culture, Diversity and Cultural Inclusion, Downtown Vitality, Historic Preservation and tagged Armenian Church and Cultural Center, ASU, Emma Melikian, Gregory Melikian, Michael Crow, Peter Corbett, Phoenix, San Carlos Hotel, Scottsdale, Tucson. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.