Daily Archives: April 29, 2008
[Source: Barbara Stocklin, City of Phoenix] — The City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) unanimously recommended approval of a plan to amend an existing 1993 historic preservation/ development agreement for the Luhrs Block downtown (bound by Jefferson and Madison Streets, and Central and 1st Avenues). This amendment would release the developer from an existing façade easement on the two-story 1914 Luhrs Central Building at 132 S. Central Avenue in exchange for a conservation easement for the 50-foot depth of the one-story 1929 Luhrs Arcade and 1924 Post Office Station located in between the two historic high rises on Jefferson Street.
The HPC also recommended up to $500,000 of Historic Preservation Bond funds to assist with restoration work on the historic Luhrs Building. The HPC requested documentation of the Luhrs Central Building prior to its demolition and that the owners pursue National Register of Historic Places listing on both the Luhrs Building and Tower. City Council action is slated on these items in early June.