The fine folks over on Roosevelt Row ask, “Are you tired of frequenting the same spots in Roosevelt Row every First Friday? It’s time to expand to the other areas of the Row with some hidden treasures.” And here’s what they suggest:
- Cross 7th St. and make your way over to the quaintest spot in downtown, the Welcome Diner at 10th St. and Roosevelt. Enjoy some local organic diner treats at this cozy spot from 5 to 10 p.m. every First Friday. No one likes wandering around the Block Party on an empty stomach.
- After you grab a bite to each, head over to The Alwun House at 12th St and Roosevelt. Their annual Gift and Collectible Sale is opening this Friday from 6 to 10 p.m., and runs through Dec 23 (hours: Tue-Fri, Noon to 6 p.m). This is a great chance to browse local artists hand crafted giftables at rock-bottom prices starting at as little as $5. Visit with friends sipping complimentary spiced apple cider, tea, or coffee in the gardens and enjoy one of the oldest galleries in the Row.
- It’s time to bring in the holiday season with Christmas at the Cathedral beginning at 7:30 p.m. at the Cathedral Center for the Arts. Enjoy the music of Camille Saint-Saëns and Christmas Carols with the Cathedral Choir and Organ. Tickets are $15 at the door, students and seniors are $10, and reserved seating is available in the first two rows of the Cathedral for $25. Click here for reservations.
Gallery Openings this First Friday include:
- Pravus Gallery opens Soft Serve this Friday featuring new work from seven different artists. Don’t miss local favorites Blinky, Josh Rhodes, J-Rod, Sent Rock, Betso, Josh Taylor, and Zoso. The opening reception goes from 6 to 10 p.m.
- If you haven’t stopped by one of Roosevelt Row’s finest new additions, this Friday is a perfect time to check out The Art of Light Gallery at 906 N. 6th St. For just $1 a ticket, you can participate in a raffle for 4 original paintings with all proceeds going to the MS Arizona Chapter. The raffle will run from 6 to 10 p.m. this Friday so make sure to peek in this great spot and contribute to this great cause.
- Perihelion Arts presents Elbow Grease from the artist duo known as The Molten Brothers’ from 6 to 10 p.m. on Friday. The team utilizes their individual and collective skills to create an exciting show of work that explores political, social and pop-culture themes. Don’t miss these exceptional, thought-provoking mixed media collaborations, including kinetic sculpture, painting, and drawing.
- Just Breathe, a Wellness Sanctuary is expanding its gallery space with an eclectic group of fine local artists. Enjoy ongoing exhibitions from artists and photographers, as well as new work from Sarah Kriehn, while soaking up the peaceful vibes. Make sure to look into their weekly class, workshop, and massage schedule to keep down the stress during the holidays.
For more information about First Fridays, including shuttle information and a map, click here.