Category Archives: Evans-Churchill
Earlier today, the City of Phoenix Parks & Recreation Department announced their recommendation for the Hance Park Master Plan RFQ (Request for Qualifications). The four finalist firms were Weddle & Gilmore (from Scottsdale), Stoss Landscape Urbanism (Boston, Mass.), Gould Evans (Phoenix), and West 8 Urban Design (Rotterdam, Netherlands). The recommendation went to Weddle & Gilmore, having scored the most points on the City’s scoring criteria.
Joining Weddle & Gilmore are the following firms with expertise in various areas:
- !melk (landscape architecture) – New York, N.Y.
- Floor Associates (landscape architecture) – Phoenix, Ariz.
- HR&A Advisors (development advisory) – New York, N.Y.
- ETM Associates (public space design) – Highland Park, N.J.
- City Activators Inc. – New York, N.Y.
- Rider Levett Bucknall (construction project management) – global
- Pentagram (visual design) – London / New York, N.Y.
- Kimber Lanning (Local First Arizona) – Phoenix, Ariz.
- Public Workshop (youth involvement in urban design) – Philadelphia, Penn.
- David Evans & Associates (land development design) – Portland, Ore.
- Buro Happold (environmental engineering) – Bath, England, U.K.
- IAS Labs (soil analysis) – Tempe, Ariz.
- Artistic Arborist (tree management) – Phoenix, Ariz.
- RAMM (geotechnical engineering) – Tempe, Ariz.
We look forward to working with Weddle & Gilmore as well as these other organizations to make Hance Park a world-class park.
[Source: University of Arizona] – On Friday, October 5, 2012 from 8 a.m. to Noon, you are invited to attend the grand opening of the newest addition to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus – the Health Sciences Education Building. The 268,000 square-foot, copper-faced structure will play a critical role in the education of the next generation of science and health professionals. The 268,000 square-foot building is home to the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University health sciences programs.
Special guests: City of Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton, The Arizona Board of Regents, University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart, and Northern Arizona University President John D. Haeger.
[Source: MADE Art Boutique] – Why should we be concerned with single-use non-biodegradable disposal plastic bags? A 1,000-mile wide collection of discarded plastics, mostly blown from land, currently floats in the ocean in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. This island of discarded plastics is estimately to weigh over 18 million tons.
Thirteen local artists are recycling used plastic bags and creating tote bags in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. None will end up in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre.
- Date: Opening Reception, Third Friday, September 21, 2012; exhibit to run through November 3
- Time: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Place: MADE, 922 N. Fifth St., Phoenix AZ
[Source: Roosevelt Row CDC] — On September 29, 2012, Roosevelt Row CDC will host the first-annual Roosevelt Row Chile Pepper Festival. “The homage to the Southwestern ingredient will feature heapin’ helpin’s of the Valley’s best green chile dishes” from local celebrity chefs, restaurants and gourmet food trucks. Details here.